Friday, June 6, 2008

My first lesson

This week has been a rush of activity--mostly of the slow, boring variety doing six hours a day of elementary math problems. I started my math "immersion" on Monday, and it has been non-stop high school math ever since, with the exception of our one-hour lunch break. The active element of my activity has been my burgeoning job search, which kicked into high gear on Tuesday. I went to a job fair for Bronx schools after class, and I had the chance to do my best impersonation of a high school math teacher for numerous principals and hiring officials. It must have worked. I have at least two interviews next week and my first real full-fledged interview tomorrow morning.

Part of the interview will be a teaching demo in which I will actually teach a classroom full of ninth-graders how to solve a system of equations by using the elimination/combination method. I am so stoked. It's a pretty juicy topic, eh? Eh? Well, I'm excited because I came up with a very logical and interactive way of teaching the material, and I think I can do it well. Mostly I'm excited because I will be Mr. McHugh for the first time. Or Mr. M. Or Q-Ball. Whatever feels right.

It turns out tomorrow is national ditch day. Oh, how I miss national ditch day, an unofficial national holiday in which I indulged several times during my own high school days. This might be a blessing for me because I'll have a smaller class to handle, and the nerds, I mean students, who are there might actually want to be there, unless they just have strict mothers. I might also have a class full of students who are wondering why they're listening to me instead of following their bolder compadres (who will probably be sleeping--that's what I'd do). Oh, well.

One other thing before I get some much-needed rest:

Happy 21st Birthday, Holly!!!!!!!

No comments: