Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Barack and me

As I'm sure everyone knows, Barack Obama secured the Democratic Party's nomination for president last night. When I watched the news unfold last night, I had a euphoric feeling usually reserved for Bulls championships or Cubs--well, the feeling I imagine I would have if the Cubs won the world series.

I have to run to class in a couple of minutes, but I wanted to say something quickly. I read through the transcript of Obama's victory speech, and I pored over his emphasis on changing a culture and making a college education accessible to all. Part of the euphoria comes from the idea that what I'm doing right now as a teaching fellow is part of something larger, part of this national movement vocalized by Barack Obama. You can say what you want about his policies, his experience, his future--but from his distant post in Washington (or on the campaign trail) he's managed to inspire me with the sense that there is a greater meaning to the work I am doing. I've never been able to say that about a president or a presidential candidate from my lifetime.

Yes we can!

No comments: