Sunday, June 8, 2008

It was so hot in New York City today...

Greetings from my sun-soaked room in Astoria, New York, where I have resisted the urge to flip on the A/C despite temperatures that will escalate up to 95 degrees this afternoon. The intense heat of the weekend has forced me to re-arrange my running plans so that I run closer to sunset, which is very nice in its own right. Maybe, considering the conditions of last year's marathon, I should run in the middle of the afternoon to better prepare myself.

I last left you with news of my upcoming job interview, so I suppose I should fill you in on how it went. I felt relaxed the whole way. I did my research on the school, I had plenty of questions for the principal and assistant principal, and I had a solid 15-minute lesson planned for a 9th-grade algebra class. There must be something about being in a high school that calms me. Just like when I was a student, I felt so assured of my abilities that I had no problem being myself. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to the administration of the school, and I was impressed by the demeanors of the students.

Then came my teaching demo, my first time up in front of a classroom. I was laid-back from the get-go, joking about the pronunciations of my name and bantering with students. I wanted to establish classroom rules and practices, I wanted to let everyone know that they were free to make mistakes and to learn together, but I didn't know a single student and I only had 15 minutes. I couldn't ignore the desire to make the classroom my own. It turns out that my lesson was pretty much review for the students, which was somewhat difficult because I wanted there to be a sense of discovery. I think I did a good job of getting lots of students to participate in the lesson, calling on those who raised their hands and those who didn't. We had fun but also covered all the content.

I imagine I had most of my best and worst qualities on display. I fostered an open but studious environment, and for the most part I was clear about what I was teaching. I was so happy to be there that my enthusiasm was infectious--students were applauding other students after they came up to the board to work on a problem. I also think it's a safe bet that a good 20% of what I said was completely lost to them because of my incessant mumbling at the end of phrases. I am going to spend this next week in front of my video camera working on keeping my voice audible throughout a five minute lecture. It needs to be done. When I come back home to see everybody, that will be the biggest difference you'll notice in me. I won't be a mumbler. At least not as much. I can't leave my mumbles behind completely; they're too much a part of who I am.

The other challenge was keeping people focused. I was so intent on getting through my lesson plan that I tuned out idle chatter from the students. I noticed several shushes from the teacher and looks of reprimand from the principal. I made a couple of efforts to get people to quiet down, but I certainly didn't establish myself enough as an authority figure. Again, another thing to work on.

All in all, I think it went very well, and I am excited to get more experience in the classroom. I have such enthusiasm for doing this work, more than I realized at the onset. Being back in school makes me very happy. I've also had the opportunity to meet some of my fellow Fellows, and I'm looking forward to going through this training period alongside them.

My last bit of fantastic news is that I recently discovered some of the discounts I get now that I'm a part of the NYC Department of Education. Not only can I get a decent discount off Mac products, I get 15% off at J. Crew. Now, I've never actually bought anything from J. Crew before, but if I'm going to have to dress professionally, I might as well do it in style. Plus, if I ever take up yachting I won't look out of place. One other thing about J. Crew: my former coworker Betsy (I miss you so much, Betsy) told me about how her husband Jim rocks J. Crew because he used to work there as an undergraduate at Madison. Jim is an English teacher at my old high school, which is sort of my dream job, and he's a lean, gangly basketball fan from the suburbs to boot. Anything that makes me closer to Jim works in my book.

I miss everyone a whole lot, and I think the homesickness is starting to set in a little bit. I'm having a fantastic time in New York, and starting this work gives me a tremendous sense of purpose, but I miss spending time with all of you. Anyone who is reading this is a big part of who I am. Wish me luck on getting through the second half of high school math this week. Also, send me your good vibes because I have a couple more interviews on tap as well. I'll be back soon, most likely with my first sports-focused post on the Chicago Bulls when they hire their new coach. Oh, and just for fun because it's been stuck in my head all week:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you pulled off a great interview. (Not surprising) You are sorely missed in the big house. (Clarification: big house = "education administrative office," as in a workplace, not a prison, or worse, a football stadium in Ann Arbor. ;) )

I don't want to leave anyone with the impression that you were incarcerated, or a Wolverine, or an incarcerated Wolverine...

Good luck on your other interviews! Betsy and I hope to have someone worthy of wielding the conch shell soon, but you are hard to replace.

T

PS- I think Gene Wilder would be an excellent choice for Washington, but I rather see him in Willie Wonka mode- weeding out the greedy Augustus's and the whiny Veruca Salts until we're left with Charlie aka Obama, who will wisely and without greed, govern this nation of 300 million Oompa Loompas.