Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Fleeting Impressions

I went for a run this evening after my first day of teacher school, and I experienced numerous thoughts and impressions which I will share with you now.

First, it's good to run. I feel free, unencumbered. I move through the world at my own pace. It was a beautiful evening to run. The temperature was perfect. The air smelled of barbecues and youth.

Kids playing little league baseball. A rush of memories--a maroon jersey in the park, a plastic bat, my Uncle Bert announcing a star is born in the backyard. A childhood.

Sunlight streaking across Manhattan, echoing between two bridges stretched across the yellow-blue river. Light shimmering in between buildings as the sun makes its descent. Harmony.

A couple huddling together in a sleeping bag on a grassy slope watching the sun go down. Men and women bathed in sunlight kissing along railings. Slow steps in rhythm. Held hands. Loneliness.

Rejuvenation. Freedom. The sun shines for you today. Shines so brightly through the towers. A gleaming Empire. The Emerald City and the brick path before me. So many children.

The sun sets first over Manhattan and then over Hell's Gate Bridge. I say goodbye and trod home. Running. Grateful. Glorious. Peace.

No comments: