Wednesday, August 27, 2008

So much to say, so much to say

It's been a little while, but I'm back and better than ever. Well, sort of. I'm certainly back on the blogosphere and I'm feeling better than ever, but I'm exhausted and I'm not going to make this a very detailed post.

A lot has happened since I last checked in. I've been without internet since Friday because I had to switch the service into my name. I had to wait for the company to uninstall the service before calling them to reinstall it. Today was the earliest they could do it. I would have made this post over the weekend otherwise. It's been a busy, busy week. I went through training at Bronx Letters at the beginning of last week, and then the new teachers and I organized a new student summer bridge program for the rest of it. The bridge program went spectacularly well, the students are wonderful, and I developed a deeper admiration for the school. I cannot tell you how lucky I am to be in this position. Many, many Fellows are still without jobs as the budgets have been uncommonly tight this summer. Not only do I have a job, but I have one at an extraordinary place. I'll tell you all about it in greater detail in my next post.

My roommate Jack moved out over the weekend. I didn't realize how much I would miss him until he left. We didn't become very close friends or anything over the course of the summer, but we certainly struck a bond. I spent Saturday night with some of his friends from Wicked, and we gave him a proper send-off. I wish him the best as he embarks on his new life in San Diego, and I hope he finds the fulfillment he seeks out there.

Part of my discomfort upon Jack's departure stemmed from the fact that I still didn't have a roommate. I had some other Teaching Fellows sign on and then opt out at the last minute over the past few weeks, so I decided to give up on the idea of having another Fellow as a roommate. I went public with the room and it took all of six hours to find someone. I am very excited to be on board with Natassia, an aspiring opera singer from Delaware who recently graduated from the University of Alabama. She's my age, she's way cool, and we get along quite well. My living situation looks much better than it did a few days ago. It's good to no longer be subleasing; I can make this place my own.

Those are the big stories from the past few weeks, but there's so much more going on between the lines. I can't wait to tell all of you how excited I am to start school on Tuesday, but also how anxious I am about truly beginning this new life (and yes, Papa, I mean anxious in the proper sense--it gives me angst). Actually, I can wait because I still need to get a lot of work done for tomorrow and I'm ready to fall asleep. You'll hear from me again very soon. I promise. I have my internet back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, English major, you said "here" instead of "hear." Good thing you're teaching those kids Math.

I kid :o) I'm glad to know you're doing well. I hope this year brings YOU the fulfillment you've been looking for.