Thursday, August 14, 2008

Baby, don't you wanna go...

Hi everybody!

It's been awhile since my last post because things are starting to get busy again here in New York City. I spent the weekend with my most excellent friend Jon in New Jersey. Just like the last time I visited, it was wonderful. He and his family make me feel like I have a home away from home there; it's almost like seeing everyone in Las Vegas for me. I also went to Philadelphia for the first time, and I thoroughly enjoyed the city. It has a friendly neighborhood vibe, kind of like Chicago, except it's also invigorating to remind yourself of how much significant American history surrounds you. I didn't really see the sights--I wasn't all that interested in that aspect. I did get a good feel for how the city flows and how people live there. I visited the Italian neighborhood where a lot of the Rocky movies take place, which was pretty cool. I did not eat a Philly cheesesteak sandwich for my fear of Cheez Whiz.

It was great to see Jon again. There's nothing like spending time with a great friend, especially after not having seen him for so long. The weekend reminded me of the wonderful friends I have back home. After parting ways with Jon to attend a planning meeting at my school, I didn't have to wait long to get that feeling again. My friend Mariya was in town a day later, and we spent yesterday afternoon together. Today we'll be headed to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Last night my professor from over the summer hosted our class for a barbecue at his home in Ardsley, New York. The gang was back together again, and it was just like old times. Jon and his fiance Sheila will be in the city on Friday. In other words, I'm surrounded by friends, and life's been a dream.

The planning for school is also picking up, and I'm getting very excited about the year. It's a lot of work, and I need to make sure I make time for it this week. I should have a lengthier post about what it feels like heading into the school year and why I want to be a teacher in the first place.

The last thing I want to add is that being around all these friends really makes me miss Chicago. I love that city. I can't wait for the marathon. I miss my family, I miss the character of the people, and I just miss the buildings and the restaurants and the lake. I miss the Cubs a ton, too. It's hard not being there, as much as New York has been wonderful to me. Along those lines, my favorite site for news and opinion, the Huffington Post, has just expanded to include regional news. Their first city? Chicago. They just made their Chicago page live today, and it features exclusive blogs from people like John Cusack and Christie Hefner. I think it's pretty cool.

The Blues Brothers is playing outdoors in Midtown Manhattan next week. I think I'm going to have to see it.

Come on, baby don't you wanna go... back to that same old place, sweet home Chicago....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chicago misses you right back.