Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My day in Brooklyn

Before I moved to New York I remember hearing that you live in Manhattan when you're young or single or hip or any combination of the three. You move to Brooklyn when you become un-hip or you want to settle down and raise a family. I got my first taste of Brooklyn today, and I can see how those perceptions make sense. It's not that I thought Brooklyn was un-hip; it just wasn't so in-your-face about it. Manhattan's so exposed that even places which mean to be underground and off the beaten track are all up in your grill about how hip they are.

Brooklyn was much quieter by comparison. I imagine I saw one of the nicer areas of the borough, and I'm glad I made the trip. The neighborhood was filled with tree-lined residential areas and bustling commercial spaces. Bookstores, art shops, and Indian restaurants filled my walk through the city streets. It almost reminded me of Lincoln Park, except not as overtly commercial (sometimes Lincoln Park feels to me like Old Orchard with bars and condos). There was an interesting mixture of young families walking with strollers and busy lawyers and civil servants catching lunch during their break from court.

The Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge provided gorgeous views of southern Manhattan and Lady Liberty--the first I've seen of her since I moved to New York. I made sure to grab a chocolate chunk ice cream cone from the shop beneath the bridge, and I ordered a pizza from Grimaldi's, which lived up to its legendary status. Brooklyn proved to be quieter, cozier, and greener than Manhattan, and I am sure I will make my way back to continue my explorations.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that is definately not the Brooklyn I know. I'm pretty sure i've never seen anyone but immigrants, drug addicts and poor 20 year olds in brooklyn.