Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hello from Astoria!

Hi everybody!

Welcome to my blog world. I'm so glad you could make it. I hope you're not too cramped. This is all new territory for me (both writing a blog and living in New York), so I hope I'm doing okay for a beginner. I moved into Astoria, New York a couple of days ago with my partner in bromance, Zev, and we spent the last few days scoping out Manhattan and part of Queens.

The highlight was probably winning the lottery and getting $20 front row seats for Rent, which was a tremendous performance. I'm not always big on Broadway shows, but this one's great. It's also closing soon, which makes it all the more special that we were able to land these tickets.

Zev has made his way back to Chicago, and I settled myself into my new place. It's strange because I'm walking down different streets (there's hills here--hills!), eating at different restaurants, and seeing different people, but there's still something familiar about everything. For example, when I went grocery shopping today I walked past Whole Foods (my favorite Evanston haunt) to go to Trader Joe's (my favorite grocery store that was usually too far out of my way). I bought the same things I would have bought at the store in Glenview. The only difference was that the people in line were more impatient. Moving to a new place isn't quite as big of a deal as it used to be, especially when you're moving from a big city to another big city.

That's not to say I don't feel the difference, but the biggest change is not having my family and friends around the corner. That's going to be the largest adjustment. Anyways, I really do like New York (a lot, actually, which scares me), and I'm excited to get going on my new adventures. Here's a quick tour of my room for all those who are interested. I should be blogging again soon. I miss everyone back home.

Enjoy:

No comments: