Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Breakfast Club

I'm heading out to Laguardia in about 10 minutes, but I have an irrepressible urge to write about my last few days. I'm going to do my best to capture as much as I can. Let's start with what I found most interesting. A series of bizarre events led to me taking the role of this man for the entirety of yesterday:



Let me explain. I served as a chaperon on the 10th grade trip to Philadelphia. We take the students around to different colleges in the area for 3 days. It was a blast because the 10th graders happen to be an exceptional group of kids. We were scheduled to play mini-golf Monday night, but torrential downpours changed our plans. The staff decided to hang out in a college dining hall for about 2 and a half hours instead. There's only so much soft serve ice cream a 15-year-old can eat before he or she starts to look for mischief.

"Mischief" came in the form of a legitimate sex education seminar across the hall in the student union. Apparently some students went to the seminar under the misguided notion that they had permission (not from me - when one student asked me about it, I responded, "Where? In some guy's dorm room? Uh-uh. No way.") These were some of our best students. When one of the teachers stormed into the seminar and dragged them out, a couple of them protested their innocence a little too heatedly and earned the privilege of spending the rest of the trip in something of a lock down with a faculty supervisor. That faculty supervisor? You guessed it. Yours truly. I immediately started humming "Don't You Forget About Me" when they told me I would be spending Tuesday in the college library with the two students held in contempt. I found the entire scenario to be incredibly amusing, especially considering I have a lot more in common with this guy than Principal Warren:



I have to fly home to Chicago right now, but I'll fill you in on the thrilling conclusion to the story as soon as I can.

No comments: