Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sprung from cages out on highway 9, chrome wheeled, fuel-injected, and steppin' out over the line

In about 24 hours, my plane will touch down in O'Hare. I can't believe it's finally here. I'm bolting school as soon as my last class ends tomorrow and heading for Laguardia. Come on, baby don't you wanna go? Back to that same old place, sweet home Chicago.... I've had the tune in my head all day. I miss my city so much. I miss everyone there. I can't wait!

Everything looks good for the marathon this year. The temperature keeps on creeping up every time I check Tom Skilling's seven day forecast, but the high for Sunday is 74 right now and cooler by the lake. Low to mid 60s is my favorite temperature in which to run, so I'm excited. It sure beats 96 and humid or 38 and sleeting. Last year I was nursing a bum hamstring at this time. This year I'm pain free outside of the typical aches that result from training all summer. My biggest hang-up from my first marathon was that my legs kept cramping up. I'm hoping that the warmer weather will help with that situation because it loosens up the muscles. The silver lining to last year's heat was that it helped my hamstring situation. I'm carboloading as we speak--all rice and pasta all the time. I'll be glad to make an exception for some Lou Malnati's pizza tomorrow night.

I will write all about the marathon experience when I get the chance, probably when I return to New York. If anyone out there is interested in getting live updates of my progress during the race, click on this link. The race starts at 8 am Central Time on Sunday. I think this service sends you updates via e-mail or text message. I can't wait for the race! I can't wait to be back home in Chicago! I can't wait to join my crazy fellow marathoners on Sunday!

I guess we've gotta be a little crazy, cuz tramps like us, baby we were born to run!

No comments: